22 October 2017
On average, 70 to 80% of people who attempt to reach Everest Base Camp actually reach it.
It is with great pleasure that I inform you that all 10 of my team meambers, including myself, made it
Some facts about today’s treks.
Lobuche to Gorak Shep
The higher altitude made this day’s trekking quite challenging. Each step, especially when gaining elevation, was very demanding.
- Distance: 4.3 km
- Time: 3 hrs
- Starting elevation: 16,142 ft / 4,920 m
- Ending elevation: 16,863 ft / 5,140 m
- Starting oxygen: 56% of sea level
- Ending oxygen: 54% of sea level
The views of Everest along the way were a great motivation force
The route followed the Khumbu Glacier with its intriguing 15m (49ft)-high seraces of ice, a feature unique to Himalayan glaciers.
- Distance: 3.5 km
- Time: 2h 00m to EBC (4h 30m roundtrip)
- Starting elevation: 16,863 ft / 5,140 m
- Ending elevation: 17,598 ft / 5,364 m
- Starting oxygen: 54% of sea level /
- Ending oxygen: 53% of sea level
There’s always some kind of a plate to show that we’ve been there……
Also the smiles on people’s faces are a good indication….
Here’s a photo of me with my two guides: and Sanjay….